Tuesday, February 27, 2007

All men (people)? Here we’ll look at how even the biblical writers use universal terms like “all men” when they don’t mean “every single person.”

I do it all the time, doesn’t everyone? (Do I really do it all the time?, does everyone do it all the time?) (get it?)

Often Paul means all kinds of people (as in Romans as he tears down the walls between Jew and gentile). Titus 2 gives a great example.

ESV Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, …

4. This one appears to be every single person, yet Scripture clearly teaches not all people (every single) will be saved (most won’t). Read the context (specifically 2:1-10; 3:1). What does “all people” mean here?



ESV 1 Timothy 2:1 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, …

5. Do you think Paul intends for Timothy to pray through the Ephesus “phone book” line-by-line?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home