Student Question -- "How is Christianity similar to communism"
CONTEXT: This question was prompted by some discussions during class.
Some early Christians lived communally (no personal/private property):
ESV Acts 4:32 Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common.
This is far from a command for us to do so. A key here is that this was done voluntarily out of changed hearts and the sacrificial love that resulted from these changes.
Governmental communism is much different and seriously flawed. Though it looks good on paper ("from each according to his ability, to each according to his need...") it is based on a false understanding of the nature of man. The Fall. If man were basically good, communism would actually work. Since fallen man is basically greedy and selfish, he will not work unless he gets something out of it for himself. The welfare system reveals this as well... (once people figure out they can get money without working... they are in no hurry to start working again...).
Scott Adams (of Dilbert Comic fame) demonstrates an understanding of fallen man. The Life Will Not Be Like Star Trek appendix to his book The Dilbert Future says this about what he'd do with a transporter:
If I could beam things from one place to another, I'd never leave the house. I'd sit in a big comfy chair and just start beaming groceries, stereo equipment, cheerleaders, and anything else I wanted right into my house. I'm fairly certain I would abuse this power. If anybody came to arrest me, I'd beam them into space. If I wanted some paintings for my walls, I'd beam the contents of the Louvre over to my place, pick out the good stuff, and beam the rest into my neighbor's garage.
If I were watching the news on television and didn't like what I heard, I would beam the anchorman into my living room during the commercial break, give him a vicious wedgie, and beam him back before anybody noticed. I'd never worry about 'keeping up with the Joneses,' because as soon as they got something nice, it would disappear right out of their hands. My neighbors would have to use milk crates for furniture. And that's only after I had all the milk crates I would ever need for the rest of my life. There's only one thing that could keep me from spending all my time wreaking havoc with the transporter: the holodeck.
Labels: Christian Living, Student Questions


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home